On the 8th of October is World Octopus Day here are some Pictures and facts about the species.
- Around 300 species are recognized
- Most species grow quickly, mature early, and are short-lived.
- In most species, the male uses a specially adapted arm to deliver a bundle of sperm directly into the female’s mantle cavity, after which he becomes senescent and dies, while the female deposits fertilized eggs in a den and cares for them until they hatch, after which she also dies.
- Strategies to defend themselves against predators include the expulsion of ink, the use of camouflage and threat displays, the ability to jet quickly through the water and hide, and even deceit.
- Octopuses have three hearts; a systemic heart that circulates blood around the body and two branchial hearts that pump it through each of the two gills.
- Octopus blood is blue.
Picture contribution by Daniel Sasse to world octopus day
World Octopus day was invented to give the species more exposure and protection of their habitats.
Interested to join us as a Marine Life Conservation Volunteer?
Check it out here
Another way to help us is with your donation or buy one of our merchandise items. All income from the Items sold goes to our Marine Life Conservation Projects.
Are you interested in Scuba Diving? Come Join us at Poseidon Dive Center and do a Dive Course or Join us for a FunDive as a certified Diver.