Different from Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Masks the volume in Freediving Masks must be as small as possible! These Masks can also be used for Snorkeling
Freedivers from all around the world are looking for a mask with a low internal volume, the reason behind is to have as little air volume as possible to equalize & clear the mask from water. If you’re really keen on checking out what internal volume a mask has in combination with your face profile, you should:
- Put the mask on
- Submerge your head into water
- Let the mask fill with water
- Reemerge from the water
- Let excess water drip from your face, or dry your face with a towel
- Release the water from your filled mask into a bowl
- Measure the volume
- Compare it to other masks
In the case of free diving masks, which must have a small volume in order to minimize the pressure change that occurs with depth, the lenses can be made of polycarbonate plastic. Be careful as polycarbonate lenses scratch easily.
Due to their small volume the freediving mask sits very close to the eyes and therefore has a wider view in every direction similar to the frameless mask.
Here are our Recommendations for Freediving Masks
Mares Viper Mask
- The product’s latest-generation silicone’s deter condensation
- Ergonomic buckles with double buttons on the skirt enable the strap to be adjusted precisely
- Developed in partnership with the best athletes in the world
- Dedicated to the most demanding free divers and spear fishermen
- The skirt has been modeled with meticulous attention to facial ergonomics, making it suitable for all types of physiognomy dedicated to the most demanding free divers and spear fishermen
Omer Wolf Mask
- Small, low-volume mask
- Ideal for freediving and spearfishing
- Designed for exceptional comfort
- Large field of view due to close proximity of lenses
- Tempered glass
OMER Alien freediving mask
- Minimum distance between lens and eyes. Minimal internal volume, under 80cm³. Increased field of vision.
- Very lightweight matte finish for anti-reflective properties. Over molded frame and anatomical skirt.
- Hydrodynamic profile reduces drag in water. New silicone utilized in the skirt reduces fogging.
- Ergonomic mask strap buckles for easy operation
- Embossed grip area on the nose for perfect fitting with a nose clip
Aqua Lung MicroMask
- Patented design places lenses in the ocular orbit for vastly improved field-of-view
- Ultra low internal volume makes clearing fast and nearly effortless. It also reduces the upward pull caused by the buoyancy of a larger air space
- Compact shape reduces in-water drag and improves stability, especially when diving in a strong current.
- Cardanic Joint Buckles rotate both up-and-down and in-and-out for a customized and pinch-free fit
- High-grade silicone material allows the facial skirt to flex and naturally mold around facial contours for a leak-free seal
- Innovative design, performance and extreme comfort
- Very small inner volume and an excellent field of vision thanks to lens position
Explanation and description of the different types of masks:
Interested to join us as a Marine Life Conservation Volunteer?
Check it out here